Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Caviar! -- Beginnings

I've just read the first page of the story, and because this entry is focusing on beginnings, I'd like to write my thoughts before the rest of the story alters my initial reaction.

"I ought to tell you right off I didn't go to college."

And for the simple fact that I am a college student, this alone gets me curious as to why he didn't go to college. What could his story be? He then gives us the low down of his family background and what he wound up doing for a living-- working for his father's company and all. We find out that he enjoys reading and then immediately after his nice little family/job summary, we're given a sentence that basically sums up what we're about to read about.

"You see, I'm the first one around here-- I mean, me and Marie are the first ones-- to have a baby this new way, where you can't have it on your own. Dr. Ziss said not to worry about it, a little experiment, think of it as a gift from heaven."

Right here we grasp the fact that we're going to learn more about how they came to having a baby. There isn't enough info though, that prevents us from wanting to continue. In fact once he sarcastically says, "Some gift." I automatically thought to myself, "Ohhh boy, lets hear it."

So, In my opinion, the beginning was crafty enough to spark my attention and on that note, I'm going to continue reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment